7.29.2004

emergency c-section

I awake from having an emergency c-section and it is tomorrow morning. All of a sudden I have this baby, but still have to work the three shifts that day. I go to tell my supervisor downstairs from where I am at the hospital that my stomach is all torn apart and I can't run around for the p1 shift but I should be okay for the k3 in the office. He is harsh with me. I tell him I will be right back. He yells because I am going to be late then. I don't even phone the catering company, I don't have time.

I am carrying my baby bundled in blankets, across this walkway to where my husband is. I am in a wheelchair and my baby is so small. I can't see who he is, his head is down. He doesn't know how to take the baby the first day while I work... he is in a panic. He has to work too, but maybe tomorrow he can get off.

I am back to start my shift, holding my stomach where the stitches are stretching and holding my baby. In the diet office some girls are talking about giving me gingerale with my "clear fluid" menu. I haven't eaten breakfast yet. Some girls from the floor come over and tell me to leave my baby with the nurses on unit 33. My baby is a girl. I go tell my supervisor that my doctor said bedrest. He says I will have to get a note, perhaps I should go to emergency about my stomach? I held my baby out to him and said "I just had a baby!" He said that there was no way for him to believe it was mine without a doctor's note. I turned and left for my room upstairs at the hospital.

I am sitting in my hospital bed with my baby beside me. My ex walks in with a baby carrier.